H.R. 875: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 HR875. If you produce food, have a vineyard, an orchard…you can be held to the standards that this new FSA will create, including what the bill calls “scientific best practices”. Small farmers and organic farmers will likely be crushed under the new data reporting and testing obligations, and organic farmers will not want to use the “best practice” of spraying pesticides on their crops. The bill is written so that IF they chose to, they could impose penalties on any type of “food production”. What it Does:
* Legally binds state agriculture departments to enforce federal guidelines effectively taking away the states power to do anything other than being food police for the federal government.
* Effectively criminalizes organic farming, but doesn’t actually use the word ‘organic.’
* Affects anyone growing food, even if they are not selling it but consuming it.
* Affects anyone producing meat of any kind including wild game.
* Legislation is so broad based that every aspect of growing or producing food can be made illegal. There are no specifics, which is bizarre considering how long the legislation is.
* Section 103 is almost entirely about the administrative aspect of the legislation. It will allow the appointing of officials from the factory farming corporations and lobbyists and classify them as experts and allow them to determine and interpret the legislation. Who do you think they are going to side with?
* Section 206 defines what will be considered a ‘food production facility’ and what will be enforced upon all food production facilities. The wording is so broad based that a backyard gardener could be fined and more.
* Section 207 requires that the state’s Agriculture department act as the food police and enforce the federal requirements. This takes away the states power and is in violation of the 10th amendment. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-875